Now’s the time to soak up all of the sun and enjoy eating outdoors. In the spirit of outdoor feasting, grilled dishes are the way to wholeheartedly embrace all things done under the sun. It’s all about paying homage and taking full advantage of the warm season.
When it comes to chicken, it’s that outdoor grill, sizzling and charred method that never ceases to amaze. Of course, chicken is naturally low carb. So if you keep to the main event (and add in some vegetables on the side), you’re all set for optimal nutrition -- meaning, no post meal blood sugar spikes.
But beyond the health factor, there is so much more tantalizing spark in this particular grilled chicken recipe. The secret? Utilizing the smells and herbs of summer. To ensure your chicken soaks up all the possible flavors, marinate the chicken for at least one hour. You can also marinate it overnight (it can sit in the marinade for up to 24 hours).
There are plenty of flavorful herbs to choose from all throughout the summer months. This recipe calls specifically for floral, warm, woody, and citrus notes, but feel free to use any herbs you have in your own garden (or whatever you find at your grocery). Experimentation is encouraged!
If you're including vegetables in your meal, generously use the marinade for seasoning and add to the grill. Enjoy this absolutely juicy, potent dish all summer long!
Grilled Lemon Chicken With Herbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped thyme (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- slices Lemon/Lime for garnish
- Place the chicken breasts in a bowl or resealable gallon sized bag.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken. Marinate for at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.
- Heat an outdoor grill (or indoor grill) pan to medium. Add the chicken in a single layer.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes per side, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 165 degrees F.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with additional rosemary sprigs for garnish, then slice and serve.