Cheese is always a good idea. And for more reasons than one. Semi-soft and buttery delicious, cheese is naturally no-carb. For those of us looking for a snack, ingredient add-on, or an entire entree, cheese is a superb frontrunner to nip all hunger pangs in the bud while essentially causing no change in blood sugars.
Savoury, herby ricotta and thyme pie is no exception. Ricotta is often used for many cheese-based desserts, like cheesecake and custard. But it’s also perfect as a standalone, savory dish. Traditionally, ricotta is made from the leftover curds and whey that eventually become the harder cheeses. This cheese, though, is the lightest, creamiest, and softest of them all.
Baked ricotta makes for a delicious breakfast served with eggs, or as your dinner entree with a side arugula salad drizzled in balsamic vinegar. Ricotta on its own is light and creamy. It’s also incredibly easy to make at home if you have about 30 extra minutes to spare.
Baked Ricotta Pie with Thyme
- 500g ricotta wedge
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Set the oven to 400°F. Place the ricotta in a large mixing bowl and lightly mash.
- In a separate bowl, crack eggs and beat well with a fork, then pour into ricotta.
- Chop up thyme leaves, then add thyme, pepper, red pepper flakes, and the majority of your parmesan into the ricotta. Whisk all together.
- Spoon into oven dish (large or small, like a ramekin) or dutch oven. Smooth over the top, then sprinkle the remaining parmesan on top.
- Place in the oven and let bake 30-35 minutes until the ricotta rises like soufflé and creates a golden brown crust. Serve hot or save in the fridge for later!
This baked ricotta pie is like a cross between an egg bite and a cheese soufflé, while being incredibly simple to make. When mixed with egg and baked, the cheese rises and forms a mushroom cloud of pure, cheesy puff. And of course, it's naturally low (no) carb.
Once baked, you can slice into it like a hot, buttery cake or save it for later in the fridge for a cooler version. Spoon some cherry tomatoes on top or to the side, and dress both with olive oil and lemon zest to get a perfect balance of velvety citrus.
Check out other low carb options like spinach chips, or shop One Drop Complete Weight Management products.