We are all about a simple, still delectable recipe. And the keto sausage ball falls into that category. It doesn’t really matter how these perfected balls of happiness are consumed: by fork, by toothpick, or by hand. Just make sure there’s enough to go around!
The original sausage ball, while delicious, contains Bisquick -- or some other, high carb alternative. Plus, copious amounts of cheese. And most of us know, carbs and fat do not play nice together, at least in the blood sugar sense.
This keto version replaces the high carb typical flour with a very, very low carb alternative: almond flour. And with it, very happy post-scarfing blood sugars! Plus, the cream cheese element adds a more juicy, saturated effect to these super savory poppers.
Don’t save these for any special day (although they do have a reputation for making an appearance on game days) -- make a batch for your week and enjoy these for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
- 1 pound raw pork sausage
- 8oz bag shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder (not sure it was necessary)
- 4oz cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- Take out the cream cheese and sausage; let them sit on the counter while you whisk the two eggs.
- Preheat the over to 350 and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Add all ingredients in a mixing bowl; mix until well-combined.
- Using a cookie scoop and your hands, scoop and roll the mixture into balls on the cooking sheet.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until crisp on the bottom and golden brown on the top.
- Let cool completely to peel off the foil.
Enjoy now, or pack them into a ziplock and save for later! You can also add all sorts of other ingredients, like diced onion, jalapeno, pimento cheese (instead of cheddar), or use another ground meat entirely.
And don’t forget the dipping sauce! Dip these in caramelized onion dip, queso, or douse them in your favorite hot sauce! The options of limitless (and the combo is out of this universe).
Nutrition Per Sausage Ball