This is the type of dish you’d see on a Chef’s Table episode. Except now you can enjoy it right from home.
A perfect addition to your fall and winter recipes, make this roasted carrot masterpiece as either a side dish to accentuate your roast chicken or lamb, or enjoy a full plate of them. This dish is thoroughly intended to highlight the full intactness of the not-so-humble carrot. Paired with a plain, whole milk yogurt or skyr, the bright orange vegetable shines in its carotene glory and vibrance. Plus, the dairy adds that necessary bit of protein and fat to turn this into a hearty meal.
I tend to like my carrots roasted, meaning they’ll turn out more caramelized, tender, and crispy textures. But grilling them works just as well, yielding a smoky char flavor on the outside and that natural sweetness on the inside.
For a classic roasted carrot option, olive oil, salt, and pepper are best. But once you’ve mastered the basics, adding herbs like tarragon is sure to elevate the natural flavor. Tarragon is one of the most delicate and delicious of all the herbs, but super underused. It’s subtle, yet pronounced. Too much, and you’ll ruin your dish; be patient, as its flavor unfolds gradually. Upfront, it’s almost minty to the taste, but then it turns into a buttery, peppery, hay-like herb. Added to yogurt or skyr, it resembles a creamy, piney, anise-forward sauce.
And of course, nutritionally, what could be more nourishing than vegetables and protein-packed yogurt? Carrots do have a bit of a higher carb-count than non-root vegetables like peppers, asparagus, or spinach. But don’t be fooled: carrot carbs are the best kind of carbs and, truthfully, the only ones we need.
And as long as you opt for the plain-flavored yogurt or skyr, the carb-count there is essentially nill, given its simultaneous fat content. The high-fat content counters the low carb-count so that there should be little to no blood sugar spike.
Roasted Carrots with Tarragon Yogurt Sauce
Ingredients for Tarragon Yogurt Sauce
- Plain whole milk Greek yogurt or plain skyr
- Handful of tarragon, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Carrots
- 2 bunches of carrots, peeled
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 420 F.
- Gently scrub the carrots to remove any dirt. Keep whole, do not remove the carrot tops.
- Place carrots on a foil-lined baking sheet, then toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread in an even layer, and roast for 25 – 30 minutes, flipping as needed until carrots are tender and golden.
- While carrots are roasting, mix the yogurt or skyr, tarragon leaves, and lemon juice in a food processor or mixing bowl. Mix until the yogurt has a slight green hue to it. Season with salt and pepper.
- Swirl the yogurt sauce onto a serving platter or pour into a side container to use for dipping. Sprinkle almond slices and remaining tarragon over the carrots. Add a pinch of salt and serve.