Want to know how to make whipped coffee?
New, hot (or cold, in this instance) drink alert: whipped coffee. This might just be the greatest thing that comes from COVID-19. And we have the internet to thank for it.
Whipped coffee (some may argue its true identity as dalgona coffee) is the pandemic’s first viral foodie craze.
It’s made by mixing instant coffee (specifically, Nescafe) or espresso powder, sugar, and very hot water. It’s then mixed vigorously (oftentimes, by hand) until it turns from its original dark brown hue to a butterscotch-beige foam that’s spooned over milk.
It is perfectly frothed, aesthetically gorgeous, and easy to make at home. Whipped coffee is having a major moment right now.
It all started when South Korean actor, Jung Il-woo, tried it on a popular TV show. On the show, he says this concoction reminds him of a South Korean honeycomb toffee candy, called dalgona (hence the other name). Then came this Tiktok video, and now whipped, dalgona coffee has found its place in the world.
But if you have diabetes, like me, the alarm bells probably went off at the ingredient mark. The sugar component is a huge deterrent, so much so that I thought I’d never get to enjoy my own whipped coffee!
Until I realized -- it’s just three ingredients! And it’s just sugar. There are plenty of sugar-replacements out there! All you have to substitute in this recipe is the sugar; then, you are well on your way to enjoying the most perfectly frothy, sweetened, buttery coffee drink.
Low Carb Whipped Dalgona Coffee
- 2 tbsp Instant coffee (use Nescafe for the original)
- 2 - 2.5 tablespoons boiling water
- 5 tablespoons Swerve (or your favorite sugar replacement)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- To a mixing bowl, add instant coffee, Swerve and 1 tablespoon of water. It won’t be very pleasing to the eye initially. In fact, it should look like very dark sludge at first.
- Using whisk or hand mixer, whip all ingredients. If mixing by hand, be prepared for an arm exercise!
- Continue mixing until the mixture turns from foamy to frothy to creamy.
- Spoon the fluffy mix over unsweetened almond milk (or any low carb milk of choice!) in a glass filled with ice. (You could also spoon it over warm milk for a hot version.)
- Stir your frothy coffee mixture into your milk, and enjoy!